Monday, June 7, 2010

Here we go

Tomorrow I start my 12 week journey of basketball around the world. The first round will be as an assistant coach with the Jamaican National team. In the morning I start a 20 hour drive to Orlando to start training Team Jamaica. I am driving for two reasons. One: I will have a way to get around when I am down there. Two: I can bring my golf clubs. We will be in Orlando for about 4 weeks practicing and playing some friendly games (that's what practice games are called in international play) getting ready to head to the Dominican Republic for the Centro Basketball Tour. We must finish top 4 to qualify for the Tour of Americas next summer. Then it is off to London to meet up with the British National team.
Side note: Really enjoyed game 2 of the NBA finals last night. Ray Allen was on fire in the first half! I feel great for him. He is such a pro and a good guy. He has a routine he does 3 hours before every game that is unbelievable. He has a picture perfect jumpshot with such a quick release. It's funny how you become an even better shooter the more you WORK at it. Remember that at home kids.
On a sad note Coach John Wooden, The Wizard of Westwood, passed away over the weekend. I grew up outside of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley and remember spending many hours watching his great UCLA teams play on TV. I am actually in the middle of reading a book on him right now. How to be Like Coach Wooden. What a great coach and even better human being!

No comments:

Post a Comment